Finance and Budget Officer, P4
Title: Finance and Budget Officer, P4
Unit/Department: Support Services Department
Type fof contract: Fixed-term
Deadline for applications: 12 May 2013
Date of issuance: 22 April 2013
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Remuneration: Depending on professional background and experience, the Executive Director reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level lower than the advertised level of the post.
Accountabilities: Under the supervision of the Executive Director the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Direct the complete financial function of the Organization, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Take the lead in design and implementation of the accounting and financial systems, including regular monitoring and update;
- Direct the development, installation and implementation of new accounting systems and other information technology systems. Evaluate the efficiency, performance and enhancements of these systems;
- Ensure the integration of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) in accordance with the UN policies;
- Advise senior management on finance matters;
- Plan, integrate and monitor the work of the finance staff in each area of the Institute;
- Review accounts regularly for accuracy and completeness. Monitor preparation of the financial statements of the Institute in association with UNHQ and UNOG;
- Responsibility for liaison with the Auditors, responses and follow up action on Audit recommendations;
- Manage, plan and co-ordinate the financial running of the UNITAR field offices;
- Provide authoritative advice, financial interpretations and supervision to ensure adherence to UN financial regulations and rules;
- Manage finance support staff, plan and allocate work, monitor and evaluate performance;
- Produce management accounts as tools for monitoring performance and offer constructive advice to senior management;
- Present budget and financial statements to the UNITAR Board of Trustees and defend and explain all relevant issues;
- Other duties as required by the ED.
In order to:
- Ensure that all financial functions of the Institute are executed and implemented in accordance with the UN financial regulations and rules.
- Ensure that the Institute benefits from authoritative advice and interpretation of financial regulations and rules to facilitate programme implementation.
- Ensure that senior management receives timely financial advice and financial reports for decision making.
2. Perform all budgetary functions for the successful implementation of the UNITAR Programmes in the following areas:
- Plan, co-ordinate and review the budget submissions per programme to supervise the production of the global UNITAR budget;
- Present the budget to the ACABQ and defend and explain the issues;
- Ensure continuous monitoring of cost plans and budget proposals to donors, and provide support and advice to senior management in this area.
- Approve allotments.
In order to:
- Ensure the coordination and timely preparation of the biennium budget for the Institute.
- Ensure a transparent budgetary process and present the Budget document to the Board of Trustees and ACABQ and defend budget document.
- Ensure periodic monitoring of actual expenditures against the budget and report variances for appropriate action.
- Professionalism – Expert knowledge in the field of Accountancy and Finance; proven ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues; ability to review and edit the work of others, ability to manage a Finance programme in a field operation or to formulate new strategies and approaches to financial issues and related issues.
- Planning & Organizing – proven ability to plan and organize work, requiring an in-depth understanding of its strategic direction and ability to integrate the work of the section into the Departments work programme
- Communications– Excellent drafting ability and communication skills, both oral and written; ability to defend and explain difficult issues with respect to key decisions and positions to staff, senior officials and members of intergovernmental bodies; proven ability to communicate complex concepts orally; ability to write reports that are clear, concise and meaningful
- Teamwork – Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Ability to lead and gain assistance of others in a team endeavor.
- Client orientation - Ability to identify clients’ needs and propose appropriate solutions as well as establish and maintain effective relationships with out posted collaborators and other contacts
- Leadership - Strong managerial /leadership skills; demonstrated flexibility in leadership by performing and/or overseeing complex financial or administrative management policy and programme issues; proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff.
- Managing performance - ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work of others; delegate appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority.
Education: Advanced university degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or directly related fields; certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent.
Experience: At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in financial, accounting and budgeting systems. Demonstrated management and leadership ability. Work experience in the UN would be an important advantage.
Language:Fluency in oral and written English or French; knowledge of second official UN language is an advantage.
Other skills: Extensive relevant experience in financial management at the International level. Experience in UN financial environment as well as very good knowledge of IMIS.
UNITAR shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Priority will be given to the applicants from the under represented regions at UNITAR. There will be a probation period of 3 months.
How to apply:
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement. Only complete applications will be considered. A letter of motivation as well as the P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent to:
UN staff members must submit copies of their latest Performance Appraisal System (PAS) report at the time of application.
- 1 of 4