BADEA-UNITAR Workshop on Finance and Investment in Africa
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Other events details:
Deadline for application: 27 September 2013
The workshop on Finance and Investment in Africa is a foundation program developed to provide middle to high level officials with an overview of the increasingly important area of investment for development.
At the end of the workshop, the participants should be able to:
- Differentiate between investment challenges & opportunities and recognize the underpinnings of an enabling business environment;
- Discuss the financial challenges facing Africa, the importance of strict financial accounting rules and the legal aspect of typical financing;
- Examine the fundamentals of regional investment facilitation and infrastructure development through Private Public Partnership (PPP); and
- Explain the financial modalities of investment identify bilateral investment treaties (BIT) and recognize their effect on investment dispute settlement procedures.
Content and Structure
- Infrastructure development through Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- Enabling Environment, Challenges and Opportunities
- Regional investment facilitation
- Standards of protection
- Investment dispute settlement
- Bilateral investment treaties (BIT)
- Present financial challenges facing Africa
- Legal aspects of typical financing
The workshop is a two week event focusing on improving the individual participant’s knowledge of finance and investment issues for development.
The workshop targets senior and middle level public sector officials in charge of investment and finance from English-speaking Sub-Saharan African countries not members of the League of Arab States (LAS).
Participants are expected to meet the the following requirements:
- Possess a university degree in economics, political science or a related area;
- Have a minimum of five years of practical experience; and
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Please note: The workshop will be conducted in English - interpretation to other languages will not be available.
Officials who meet the requirements set out under “Targeted Audience” and who are interested in participating in the workshop are kindly requested to send a PDF copy of their nomination letter (on official letterhead) and curriculum vitae (CV) including full contact details to email@example.com by or before 27 September 2013.
Acceptance to this workshop is based on professional achievement and organizational responsibility. Due to the interactive nature of the workshop, the number of participants is limited to 20 persons. BADEA and UNITAR will select the 20 participants based on the information provided in their nomination letter and CV and inform them via email. Kindly note that BADEA and UNITAR will not be able to consider incomplete or late applications.
BADEA and UNITAR will award a full fellowship to all accepted candidates. The fellowship includes tuition fees, air travel from their country to/from Nairobi by economy class, hotel accommodation, subsistence allowance, and pocket expenses. Further information will be provided to accepted candidates by email within one month from the start of the workshop.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery