To recover from the COVID-19 crisis, the European Union will make €672.5 billion available through its Recovery and Resilience Facility. The Member States will prepare recovery and resilience plans with reforms and investments to mitigate the economic and social impact of the coronavirus pandemic and to make European economies and societies more sustainable, resilient and better prepared for the green and digital transitions.
These recovery plans will be drafted by the Member States by April 2021 and submitted in the framework of the European Semester.
The webinar aims to discuss the alignment of the European recovery plans and the European Semester with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The speakers will approach the topic from a general European Union perspective and zoom in on the Belgian context more specifically. The aim is to spark the conversation on the link between the recovery plans and the SDGs, drawing conclusions for the EU as a whole, for the Belgian recovery plans and for the recovery in other Member States.
At the end of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Identify the role of the SDGs in the European recovery plans,
- Identify the institutions and mechanisms involved in the European recovery from the COVID-19 crisis
The content and structure of this event consist of:
- Opening remarks by Mr. Nikhil Seth, UN Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research
- Speech by the Belgian Government, Anton Muyldermans, cabinet of federal State Secretary Thomas Dermine
- Discussion on the alignment of the European recovery with the SDGs:
- Veerle Nuyts, European Semester Officer Representation of the European Commission in Belgium
- Eloïse Bodin, Policy analyst, Institute for European Environmental Policy
- María Cortés Puch, Vice-President of Networks, UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network Q&A
- Closing remarks by Prof. dr. Jeffrey Sachs, President of SDSN and Special Advisor to the High Representative Josep Borrell on the EU Green Deal Diplomacy
The webinar consists of keynote speeches, a panel discussion as well as a live Q&A to spark a discussion on the topic of the event.
The webinar aims at everyone interested in the alignment of the European Recovery with the SDGs, especially Government officials, NGOs or academia members in the field of sustainable development and macroeconomic governance. While the event will use Belgium as a case study, the event is open to anyone interested in the topic and the conclusions will be relevant beyond the Belgian context.