Introduction to Environment, Natural Resources and UN Peacekeeping Operations [PTP.2012.36E]
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 30 Noviembre 2013
Please take notice that UNITAR has moved its courses to a new e-Learning platform in the beginning of January. To register for this course please click here
This training course focuses on the environment and natural resource management in a post-conflict context. It is a general awareness training that targets all military, civilian and police personnel and should be completed either pre-deployment or once in-mission. Key areas of learning include minimizing the environmental impact of peacekeeping missions, improving operational efficiency from an environmental perspective and addressing environmental and natural resource challenges at field level.
Objetivos del Evento
As a direct answer to the Greening the Blue report recommendation, the aim of this training module is to increase general awareness of key environmental and natural resource concepts to all peacekeeping staff.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
The four learning objectives are:
- Linkages: At the end of the course, participants will be able to describe how environment and natural resource link to and affect peacekeeping operations.
- Benefits: At the end of the course, participants will be able to identify the multiple benefits of addressing environment and natural resources in peacekeeping.
- Policies: At the end of the course, participants will be able to describe how environment and natural resources are addressed by UN peacekeeping policies and mandates as well as sources of good practice.
- Responsibilities: At the end of the course participants will be able to explain personal responsibilities and actions to be taken by every peacekeeper to implement the DPKO/DFS environmental policy.
Contenido y Estructura
The course is broken down into three main sections:
- Introduction to the learning objectives and key concepts;
- Seven main reasons to care about environment and natural resources in peacekeeping operations;
- What can each of us do to address environment and natural resource challenges at the field level?
Click on the tabs on the left to discover the four learning objectives of this module. Estimated time of completion: 2 hours.
The course is self-paced. Content is presented through interactive slides, videos, maps and graphs. The learners will be assessed based on a quiz at the end of the course.
This general awareness raising training targets all military, police and civilian personnel working in or interested in working in peacekeeping operations.
How to register for this 2-hour course (Click here for screenshots)
1. Select and confirm course
- Select the course by clicking on the “Select” button.
- Click on “confirm your selection” link, or “View your shopping cart” link on the right top corner of the page.
- Click “Confirm” to proceed to login screen.
2. Registration procedure
- If you have already used the UNITAR Online Catalogue before, enter your account username (email address) and password.
- If you do not have a username and password, click on the “Create New Account” button. Enter all required fields and click on “Submit”. Keep your username and password; they may be used again for future registrations.
3. To start the course
- You will receive a welcome e-mail within 2 working days of your registration, which will contain the link to the course with your login information. You are now ready to start the course.
This training module was developed by UNEP’s Post-Conflict and Disaster Management Branch in collaboration with UNITAR and IISD. For more information regarding content, contact email@example.com
For administrative queries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Certificates of completion will be sent to participants, upon the successful completion of the end-of-course quiz and after participants have filled out the course evaluation form.
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)