The Inter-American Conference of Mayors and Local Authorities organized by the International University of Florida and the Miami-Dade County take place on 10-14 June in Miami, USA. The Conference will bring more than 600 mayors, councilors and those interested in local governance issues in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The side event “Challenges of Education for the Development of Sustainable Local Governments will take place in the framework of the 2018 Mayors Conference 2018 on 13 June 2018. Its key objective is to provide learning opportunities for local actors from Latin America to implement actions that promote sustainable cities and communities.
CIFAL Miami jointly with the Universidad Tecnica Particular de Loja (UTPL) and UNITAR will be hosting the side event "Challenges of Education for the Development of Sustainable Local Governments" with the objective of raising awareness about the important role of academic institutions to promote sustainable cities and communities and to exchange ideas on how to advance Sustainable Development Goals 4 & 11.
The side event will include a panel discussion that will address the following key topics:
- Importance of SDG 4 Quality Education to achieve SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
- How academic institutions contribute to the challenge of improving the quality of education (SDG 4 and SDG 11) and how to align the work of local authorities to advance sustainable development
- Achieving resilient cities through education and tolerance
- Smart Land for the intelligent management of the territory
- Strengthening the capacities of local authorities through training – Presentation of CIFAL Miami
The panel discussion will include presentations from the panelists, which will be followed by a Questions and Answers session.
The event targets representatives from local, regional and national governments, NGOs, multilateral agencies and all those interested in strengthening local governments.