At its inception, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), was founded to provide delegates of newly independent states with the skills and knowledge to perform successfully in multilateral settings. In close to sixty years, the Institute built unparalleled expertise in training diplomatic staff to accomplish their duties and to meet contemporary challenges facing the international community.
The mission of UNITAR is to provide participants with the skills, knowledge, and tools to be able to address and solve contemporary complex global isssues. The Institute is committed to strengthen this endeavour and enhance its commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals. Thus, in recent years, the Institute expanded its training offer, and partnered with centres of excellence, to launch Executive Education and Master's degrees open to the wider public.
In this respect, UNITAR is pleased to launch the first edition of the Virtual Education Fair in Diplomacy and International Law. This free event will showcase UNITAR's upcoming Master's degrees and Executive Trainings. Participants will be able to directly engage with UNITAR and partner representatives, as well as senior experts of the field and distinguished academic professors. Together, they will not only be able to address any queries related to UNITAR's trainings, but also to discuss salient issues ranging from international affairs to international law, diplomacy, development, human rights, anti-corruption, the cyberspace, science diplomacy, diplomatic practice, and business leadership.
The Virtual Education Fair in Diplomacy and International Law is presented in partnership with:
- University for Peace (UPEACE)
- International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA)
- The Program on Negotiations at Harvard Law School (PON)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies at the University of Massachusetts Boston
- Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies at Boston University
- Science Diplomacy Center
- Swissnex in Boston
- Stirling University
- Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
- INCAE Business School
The Virtual Education Fair in Diplomacy and International Law will provide participants with all the necessary background information to make informed decisions about their future education for lifelong learning. It will not only give participants practical information on the Institute's upcoming activities, but will also offer the unique opportunity to directly engage with UNITAR officials, partner staff, senior experts and renowned scholars to gain exclusive insight into their work as professionals of multilateral diplomacy. In the process, the Virtual Education Fair will provide a glimpse into their potential future careers following an education and training with UNITAR.
The Virtual Education Fair will take place on 26 April 2021, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Central European Time (CET), and will follow the ensuing agenda:
- 4.00 - 4.15 p.m. : Foreword and Welcoming remarks from Mr. Rabih El-Haddad, Director, Division for Multilateral Diplomacy, UNITAR
- 4.15 - 4. 55 p.m. : Info Session - Slot 1
- 4.55 - 5.05 p.m. : Break
- 5.05 - 5.45 p.m. : Info Session - Slot 2
- 5.45 - 5.50 p.m. : Concluding remarks.
The Virtual Education Fair will be divided into two Info Sessions, with Session 1 taking place from 4:15 to 4:55 p.m., and Session 2 from 5:05 to 5:45 pm.
Each participant may choose two (2) topics from the below list, one for each Info Session:
- UPEACE - UNITAR M.A. in International Law and Diplomacy
- UPEACE - UNITAR M.A. in Development Studies and Diplomacy
- IACA - UNITAR Master and Executive Diploma in Anti-Corruption and Diplomacy
- UOC - UNITAR Online Master in International Affairs and Diplomacy
- Stirling University - UNITAR MSc in Human Rights and Diplomacy
- UNITAR Executive Summer Programme on Innovations in Science Diplomacy (In parnership with PON, MIT, UMass Boston, Boston University, Science Diplomacy Center, Swissnex in Boston)
- UNITAR Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice
- INCAE - UNITAR Executive Diploma in Business Leadership and International Affairs
- UNITAR Online Executive Diploma on International Law in the 21st Century.
Kindly note that all topics will be available for registration in each session.
The Virtual Education Fair in Diplomacy and International Law is open to those interested in UNITAR's upcoming Masters and Executive Education, regardless of age, educational background, industry field, or professional seniority. It may be particularly engaging for participants interested in international affairs, international law, international relations, diplomacy, human rights, anti-corruption, diplomatic practice, cybergovernance, development, peace and conflict studies, humanities, or political and social sciences. A typical audience may include, but not be limited to, (under)graduate students, diplomatic staff and delegates, civil servants at all levels of government, non-profit workers, legal practicioners, entrepreneurs, business associates, or entry-to-senior-level professionals.
Kindly note that the Virtual Education Fair will take place over Zoom. Info Sessions will run simultaneously in in-meeting break-out rooms. Info Sessions' structures and backround contents in Slot 1 and 2 will be identical. However, topical subjects may vary slightly depending on the nature of interactive discussions between participants and staff.
UNITAR recommends that all prospective participants test Zoom for free at Zoom.us prior to joining the Virtual Education Fair.
Basic system requirements:
- Stable internet connection
- Speakers and a microphone
- A webcam or HD webcam
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Please see further information about all technical requirements for participating in this Virtual Education Fair here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux