The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) came into effect in 2015 to achieve the extraordinary goals of ending poverty, combatting climate change and fighting inequality and injustice by the year 2030. This seminar has been designed to facilitate a dialogue among local authorities from the eThekwini Municipality in South Africa regarding the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The seminar aims to provide a platform for city managers and leadership to discuss the SDGs, reporting requirement and outline a road map at the local level.
At the end of the seminar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the origins and purpose of the SDGs
- Identify key challenges in implementing Sustainable Development Goals
- Identify ways to incorporate the SDGs into our plans, policies and strategies
The following sessions will take place during the seminar:
- Unpacking the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Localizing and mainstreaming the SDGs: An inclusive implementation process
- Enabling institutional arrangements for SDG implementation
- How we can make a better world by 2030
Additionally, a panel discussion will be held to address the following key topics:
- Stakeholder engagement
- Data and reporting
- Politica leadership
- Sustainable development
- Community participation
The seminar will be delivered through presentations led by city officials followed by dynamic facilitated discussions, and panel discussions with stakeholders.
The seminar will bring together City Senior Management from eThekwini Municipality and other Municipalities.