Celebrating the 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, designated by the United Nations 70th General Assembly, this year’s 10th Youth Workshop aims to raise awareness among youth about the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Continuing its effort to engage youth in global development discussions since 2012, this year's workshop will encourage youth to face society’s challenges with their unlimited ideas and energy. Participants from different backgrounds and interests will engage in discussions and work together to build effective strategies and to share lessons.
This workshop aims to educate undergraduate and graduate students on Sustainable Development related topics, especially sustainable tourism, and to equip them to be able to contribute to the advancement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe SDG 8 on Decent Work and Economic Growth and targets related to Sustainable Tourism
- Identify the different roles youth can play in advancing the SDGs
- Act as advocates for the SDGs
The workshop will include the following components:
- Lecture on eco-tourism and youth engagment
- Field trip to Jeju Global Geo-park
- Group discussions
- Eco-tour on Jeju’s Ramsar sites
- Field trip to Manjanggul Cave (UNESCO World Heritage)
- Tour of Jeju Olle Foundation’s sustainable local business (Shinshan Village)
- Exploring Art Space IAa
- Group presentations
The workshop will be delivered through:
- Lectures by experts
- Discussions initiated by participants
- Field Trips
The targeted audience is comprised of undergraduate, graduate school students, international students in Korea, or international students from ITOP Forum member countries who are interested in youth engagement and sustaianble tourism.