The Professional Capacity-building Course on Global Migration aims to serve as a continuing education for migration practitioners interested in the comparative and pragmatic approach in studying challenges in managing migration in the context of sustainable development.
The certificate course is composed of seven modules which offer a range of topics that aim to broaden and deepen one’s understanding of international migration, its opportunities and challenges, and implications to development, policy, and management affecting not only migrants and their families but also various stakeholders such as public and private sectors.
The course aligns with the framework of the United Nation’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Global Compact for Migration (GCM) which both recognizes the links of migration sustainable development.
At the end of the course, participants will be able:
- Understand the concept of migration as a global and national occurrence and issues, including its underlying drivers, trends, challenges, and pathways;
- Analyze the multifaceted nature and scope of international migration as embodied in the United Nations’ Global Compact for Migration (GCM) and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Analyze challenges and opportunities on migration using interdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder outlooks;
- Broaden the perspective and understanding on migration management as this relates to policy action and socio-economic development planning and approaches;
- Explore innovative and practical solutions responsive to the challenges of international migration and sustainable development; and
- Challenge learners to contribute to specific concerns of the agency or advocacy
The course consists of the following seven modules:
- Module 1: Migration in the 21st Century: Origins, Concepts, and Role in Sustainable Development
- Module 2: Migration, International Laws, Rules-based Agreements, and Human Rights
- Module 3: Dimensions of Migration: Economic, Social, and Cultural Impacts
- Module 4: Migration Governance I: Migration Information and Data Utilization
- Module 5: Migration Governance II: From Facilitating Mobility to Crisis Respondence
- Module 6: Migration Governance III: Reintegration and Strategic Development
- Module 7: Capstone Project: Integrating Migration in Development Policies and Plans
Learning activities included in the professional course include face-to-face and video lectures, panel discussions, workshops, exercises, and projects
This course is intended for professionals and practitioners at the forefront of migration-related work especially those in the government bureaucracy and individuals or organization representatives who are engaged in migration and development work and practice.