In December 2015, countries adopted the Paris Agreement on climate change. For the first time, 195 Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) pledged to curb emissions, strengthen resilience and joined to take common climate action. This followed two weeks of negotiations at the United Nations climate change conference.
Overall, this lecture aims to discuss on the implications on the agreement made in Paris. What impact this new agreement will have in the achievement of the SDGs? What challenges rise ahead for the implementation of the new climate change commitments? What efforts do countries have to face in order to mitigate and adapt climate change effects?
- Discuss on the impact of the climate deal and its meaning for the world.
- Reflect on the necessary efforts countries will need to take to achieve the commitments.
- Deliberate on the financial frameworks needed to implement the agreement in develop and developing countries.
- Consider the share of responsibility between developed and developing countries to implementation all the commitments made in the climate change agreement.
- Analyze the importance of this agreement for the achievement of the rest of the goals in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.