- Distinguish and apply conflict and conflict resolution theories;
- Apply conflict resolution tools to a current conflict;
- Describe and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the main diplomatic tracks in light of a case study;
- Appraise mediation and negotiation techniques;
- Prepare for negotiations and mediation in a current conflict;
- Discuss the role of the United Nations and regional organisations in conflict resolution.
- Module 1: Research on conflict resolution
- Module 2: Introduction to conflict resolution
- Module 3: Diplomatic tracks in conflict resolution
- Module 4: Methods in conflict resolution
- Module 5: The United Nations and regional actors in conflict resolution
In each module, the interactive learning components introduce the key points and provide background information. Activities such as research, reflection and case studies allow participants to apply the knowledge acquired through the lessons. Discussions are organized for participants in order to facilitate collective knowledge construction and sharing of experiences.
- Have a sound understanding of the structure and functioning of a peace operation;
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in the specific topic covered by the course (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
- Adobe Flash Player (download for free at http:/get.adobe.com/flashplayer)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Apple version) or Open Office (download for free at http://www.openoffice.org )
- Modem: 56 K