- Relate different options for conflict resolution to a specific conflict;
- Examine the use of the main diplomatic tracks in a specific conflict;
- Propose mediation or negotiation startegy to a specific conflict;
- Recommend on the involvement of international and regional orgnaizations in conflict resolution intiiatives.
The course takes place over 5 weeks with an average of 8 hours workload per week.
- Module 1: Introduction to conflict resolution
- Module 2: Diplomatic tracks in conflict resolution
- Module 3: Methods in conflict resolution
- Module 4: The United Nations and regional actors in conflict resolution
In this e-learning course, in each module, the interactive learning components introduce the key points and provide background information. Activities such as research, reflection and case studies allow participants to apply the knowledge acquired through the lessons. Discussions are organized for participants in order to facilitate collective knowledge construction and sharing of experiences.
- Have a sound understanding of the structure and functioning of a peace operation;
- Have conpleted the UNITAR course Understanding Conflict and Conflict Analysis or equivalent;
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in the specific topic covered by the course (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
- Choose a Conflict
- Conflict Overview
As part of the pre-curse prepartaion, participants must also read documents such as the course Syllabus, Assessment Guide and User guide.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
- Adobe Flash Player (download for free at http:/get.adobe.com/flashplayer)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Apple version) or Open Office (download for free at http://www.openoffice.org )
- Modem: 56 K