Information technology (IT) has become a driving force behind the way people communicate, organize their activities and produce outputs. Indeed, IT is one of the defining characteristics of the 21st century, making the world ever faster and smaller. With the launch of the United Nations Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) in February 2009, IT is figuring more prominently in the working methods of the Organization. This trend requires delegates at Permanent Missions to the United Nations in
At the end of this course, participants will have gained the skills to:
- Manoeuvre the basic applications of IT, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Windows XP;
- Further develop their skills through tailor-made training according to individual professional development needs, including advanced IT training and certification;
- Communicate, manage information and reach out to distant audiences with ease and efficiency.
Using online platforms and individualized training sessions, the programme offers the following sample courses:
- Database and email applications (e.g. Microsoft Access, Outlook, and Lotus Notes);
- Internet Explorer and different operating systems such as Windows XP;
- Presentation applications including PowerPoint and Corel;
- Spreadsheet applications including Excel;
- Advanced IT training and certification- for example, CISSP (certified information systems security professional);
- Business writing;
- Project management.
Participants are required to attend one of several orientation sessions, where detailed course information and log-in IDs are distributed.
CITE provides a blended learning opportunity, combining “assisted labs” and “e-learning platforms”:
- To meet delegates’ demand for course flexibility and individualized support, in-person assisted-labs are available throughout the year by appointment.
- The course partners with Enterprise Training, a leading provider of certified computer-based training, to offer a wide range of e-learning courses. A complete course listing can be found at
While enrolled in the programme, participants have unlimited access to thousands of courses available through CITE at the convenience of their homes or offices. Even after the conclusion of the programme, participants can retain their log-in information and engage in continuous learning.
CITE is offered to members from permanent missions to the United Nations in
Working Language: The course is conducted primarily in English, but a limited number of online courses may be available in other languages (please contact UNITAR for questions regarding language availability). Individualized instruction is offered only in English.
All participants who complete three modules of their choice by 31 December 2010 will receive a UNITAR Certificate of Completion.