HIGH PERFORMANCE LEADERSHIP: PUTTING IDEAS INTO ACTION
To succeed in today’s highly ambiguous, uncertain, and changing environment, organizations must develop a cadre of leaders who can lead anywhere in the world. Participants will attain the skills and strengths to achieve goals and increase the overall effectiveness of their organization in attaining results. The seminar is uniquely designed to equip participants with the practices and competencies required to lead effectively at any level and will enable those enrolled to reflect on the following questions:
- How does my personal leadership style influence and inspire those I manage?
- How do I create a powerful personal leadership state and have the credibility necessary to lead in turbulent times?
- How do I help develop others to realise their potential?
- How do I build upon my existing strengths as a leader?
- How do I extend my leveraging of effective negotiation techniques?
At the end of the seminar, the participants should be able to:
- Recognize the different leadership styles and its effective application;
- Demonstrate how to lead teams to achieve high performance in times change;
- Illustrate effective negotiation and conflict management techniques;
- Examine the influence and leveraging skills of high performance leaders; and
- Develop an action plan to resolve personal leadership challenges.
DAY ONE - Your Personal Leadership
- Session 1: Leading from the Mind’s Eye, The Foundation of High Performance Leadership - Playing to Win
- Session 2: What is your Personal Leadership Style?
- Session 3: The Role of Secure Bases in High Performance Leadership - Caring to Dare
- Session 4: Learning to Influence: Driving Organizational Change
DAY TWO - Leading Others
- Session 5: Conflict Management; Effective Dialogue
- Session 6: The Art of Negotiation
- Session 7: Leaders Leading Leaders
- Session 8: Action Plans: Facing Your Leadership Challenges
Download Seminar Brochure (Printable PDF format; file size 6.7 MB)
The seminar is a two-day event focusing on improving the participant’s individual leadership style. Professor George Kohlrieser, a world renowned leadership and negotiation expert, will cover topics such as leadership mind-set, leadership in action, and effective negotiation and dialogue skills. A diverse selection of activities will be used such as: role-playing, lectures, coaching, videos, group exercises and action learning. Entailing both theoretic and experiential elements, Professor Kohlrieser will place particular emphasis on the developing of participant leadership capabilities and confidence in times of transition and uncertainty.
A veteran hostage negotiator with over 40 years’ experience, Professor Kohlrieser builds on the proven techniques of hostage negotiation and explains how these skills can contribute to high performance leadership, particularly in times of organizational change.
The High Performance Leadership (HPL) seminar builds on decades of UNITAR experience in strengthening the knowledge and skills of middle and senior-level officials from around the world. The primary intended beneficiaries of this seminar are:
- Delegates and representatives of UN-member countries
- Government and Ministry Officials, Central Bank Staff, Finance and Trade Officials
- NGO and Civil Society Representatives
- Managers from the private sector
- Aspiring leaders
Benefits for the Participant
- Articulate and develop your leadership role within your organization.
- Enhance your personal leadership presence and efficiency.
- Learn how to lead teams to achieve high performance in times of ambiguity, uncertainty, and change.
- Understand the influence you have on those you lead and develop effective relationships.
Benefits for the Organization
- Develop future leaders with the ability to deliver success in any business context.
- Instigate innovation, manage difficulty, and lead change.
- Achieve more with less.
- Gain competitive advantage with successful leadership that is aligned with an organization’s vision and business strategy.
Professor George Kohlrieser
George Kohlrieser is an organisational and clinical psychologist. He is the Professor of Leadership and Organisational Behaviour at the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Switzerland. IMD is ranked First in the World for open programs by the Financial Times (2012 and 2013).
At IMD, Professor Kohlrieser created and directs the school’s flagship High Performance Leadership (HPL) and Advanced High Performance Leadership (AHPL) program. Building on lessons from 40 years as a psychologist and hostage negotiator, he works with companies and organizations based all over the world and serves on the advisory board of the Neuroleadership Institute. Kohlrieser is a respected media commentator and has been a contributor on the BBC, CNN, ABC, and CBS. His work has also been featured in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Economist, and other leading newspapers and magazines.
He is the author of Hostage at The Table: How Leaders Can Overcome Conflict, Influence Others and Raise Performance (2006), and co-author of Care to Dare: Unleashing Astonishing Potential Through Secure Base Leadership (2012).
The publication Hostage at the Table: How Leaders Can Overcome Conflict, Influence Others and Raise Performance received the Best Business Book Award 2007 from the Dirigeants Commerciaux de France (DCF), and the Best Management Book 2008 Award from Managementbuch.de, the German business bookseller.
Prof. Kohlrieser also received the Brand Laureate International Brand Personality Award in 2010 from the Asia Pacific Brands Foundation (APBF) for his contribution to the field of high-performance communication and the global European Case Clearing House (ECCH) Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Technology and Development Hot Topic Case Award in 2011.
For more information about Professor Kohlrieser, visit www.georgekohlrieser.com.
>> Watch video: George Kohlrieser: Golden Nuggets for High Performance
>> Watch video: George Kohlrieser: What Great Leaders Do Best
Professor Kohlrieser will work with professional coaches to deliver the seminar. The coaches will help participants to identify and prioritize the key leadership capabilities required for organizational growth. To facilitate this, the coaching staff will support participants in issues of basic understanding and application of the concepts and tools throughout the course.
Acceptance to this seminar is based on professional achievement and organizational responsibility. Early registration is encouraged since events often fill to capacity. Qualified registrants are accepted on a rolling, space-available basis. Due to the interactive nature of the seminar, the number of participants is limited. Requests for participation received after the deadline will be considered only if space remains available.
The seminar will take place at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. The Palais des Nations was built in the early 20th century as the headquarters of the League of Nations. Since 1946, the Palais has housed the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), which is the second largest United Nations centre after the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The Palais des Nations is situated in a beautiful park in Geneva, overlooking Lake Geneva, with a splendid view of the Alps and, on a clear day, Mont Blanc - the highest mountain in Europe.
Travel and Accommodation
Geneva is easily reachable by air from anywhere in the world. Geneva’s international airport has over 130 direct flight connections and is catered to by more than 40 European and international airlines. From the airport, it takes only six minutes to reach the city centre. There are over 130 hotels in Geneva; including 15 five star properties that meet the requirements of even the most discerning guests.
Participants are expected to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements, and to bear the related expenses. For hotel booking please contact your travel specialist.
Insurance and Visa
Depending on nationality and the type of travel document possessed, participants may need a visa to enter Switzerland. Participants should enquire directly with the Swiss consulate in their country of residence. Upon request, UNITAR will issue a confirmation letter to support visa applications of participants who have paid the participation fee in full.
Kindly note that UNITAR cannot apply for a visa on behalf of participants; it is the participant’s responsibility to secure the required visa and UNITAR will not be held accountable in case a participant does not receive a visa to enter Switzerland.
UNITAR advises all participants to ensure that they possess medical insurance valid in Switzerland and providing a sufficient amount of coverage in light of the high cost of medical care in Switzerland.
Certificate of Participation
Participants who have fully attended all sessions will be awarded a Certificate of Participation from UNITAR.
For any additional information you may require, please contact:
Telephone: +41 (0)22 9178454