5 Sep 2010 to 6 Sep 2010
Duration of event:
Peace Security and Diplomacy, Multilateral Diplomacy
Specific Target Audience:
Event Focal Point Email:
Event Focal Point Contact Number:
Other Event Details:
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) are pleased to organise the 2nd annual two-day Human Rights Orientation Programme for Diplomats in Geneva.
The orientation programme will be held at OHCHR, Palais Wilson, Geneva, on 6 and 7 September 2010 and will involve presentations by human rights experts and discussions on key human rights issues.
The two-day programme will cover discussion topics including:
- Historical overview and human rights normative framework
- OHCHR’s mandate, working methodologies, thematic and country-related work
- Human Rights Council: structure and functioning
- Human Rights Council mechanisms: the Universal Periodic Review and special procedures
- Human rights treaty bodies
- Mainstreaming human rights in development, humanitarian action and peace operations
The orientation programme will be based on a participatory approach and include presentations and discussions on the various topics on the agenda. Adequate time will be allocated for participants to interact with resource persons.
The orientation programme is open to members of Permanent Missions accredited to the United Nations. Priority will be given to diplomats that are relatively new to the multilateral working environment and who are in charge of the human rights file at their respective missions or embassies.
Applicants will receive confirmation and a detailed programme by email one week prior the programme.