In an increasingly interconnected, globalized and complex world, where the importance of multilateral dialogue and cooperation is ever growing, the demand for training and capacity development in the field of international affairs and diplomacy is constantly rising. In this regard, the establishment of this innovative on-line Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies between the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) holds great significance.
This Certificate’s programme is designed to be perfectly suited to the needs of students and full-time professionals interested in both developing essential knowledge for understanding international affairs, as well as strengthening their capacities in the practice of diplomacy. This Certificate’s Degree will allow diplomats, government officials, students and other stakeholders to upgrade their studies and knowledge with a formally recognized degree combining the best of university education and UN executive training.
The Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies will enable you to strengthen your performance in multilateral settings, to foster your understanding of regional politics and to leverage your career perspectives by connecting with high-level representatives, diplomats, academics, and other experts.
At the end of the Master's Programme, students should be able to:
- Develop a critical understanding of key issues and concepts in world affairs
- Demonstrate a comprehensive, substantive and practical knowledge of international relations and diplomacy
- Develop analytical skills and critical thinking
- Improve research and drafting skills
- Perform in both bilateral and multilateral working environments with increased confidence.
To receive the accredited Certificate’s Degree in World Studies, issued by the UOC in partnership with UNITAR, students must complete the following courses equivalent to 32 ECTS in no more than two years.
•Introduction to the UN System
•Field visit to Geneva (Optional)
• International Law and Institutions
• International Relations System and Theories
• International Political Economy
• European Union in World Politics
• Latin America in World Politics
• Eastern Asia in World Politics
• Africa in World Politics
• Middle East in World Politics
• Research Methods Course
• Master Thesis
• Internship (optional)
Students will also have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the very heart of diplomacy.An optional field trip to Geneva will be organized for those who wish to gain expertise as well as skills in the domain of multilateral diplomacy.
The Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies is a UOC Certified Post-Graduate Certificate, awarded according to the rules and regulations set by the Spanish education system. Giving its specificity, it does not give general access to Doctoral studies (Ph.D. and similar). Validation of credits for access to such programmes can be requested from competent institutions. For more information, students should contact email@example.com.
UNITAR and UOC have developed an extensive expertise in the delivery of online programmes. Using Internet as a medium, students, diplomats, practitioners and scholars are brought together in a unique virtual learning environment designed to valorize experiential and collaborative learning.
Distinctive features of the Master and its related qualifications include:
• Full online delivery, allowing for a flexible schedule designed to fit the specific needs of full-time working professionals;
• Student-centered approach, in which the learner and the learning experience at the core of the programme;
• Leading-edge insights into prevailing theories and practices;
• Lifelong learning approach, in which the workplace is used as the main learning environment;
• Multi-cultural pedagogy, particularly attentive at the diversity of paradigms, perceptions and intellectual traditions;
• Multi-disciplinary approach.
The Master in International Affairs and Diplomacy is aimed at diplomats as well as staff of governmental and non-governmental organizations. Additionally, the Master’s Degree and related qualifications are open to graduate students, young researchers and other academics interested in gaining a thorough understanding of diplomacy and international relations and acquiring soft skills to thrive in their careers.
The objective of the admission process is to select students with great potential and who can make a significant contribution to the learning experience. We seek candidates who are dynamic, motivated, creative, and who have not only an excellent academic background and/or professional experience, but also have interpersonal skills enabling the participants to make the most out of this programme.
In order to be considered for the Master in International Affairs and Diplomacy and related qualifications, candidates must be fluent in English, possess a valid passport or national identity cards and have completed an undergraduate degree.
After signing up, we will kindly ask you to send to firstname.lastname@example.org the following documents:
- a copy of your CV
- a copy of your passport/ national identity card
- a copy of your transcripts in English from your former education
- a copy of an academic essay in English of the topic of your choice
Admission is granted on a rolling basis and – although there is no deadline for applications – early application is recommended given the limited number of places on the programme. Upon application, the Selection Committee will take roughly 2 - 3 weeks to review the file and provide applicants with a final decision.
Admission is valid for two intakes, the intake the candidate applies for and the following.
For further information on the admission process, please refer to the website: www.unitar.org/mdp/iad