Everyone negotiates something every day. Whether it is how to handle an organizational challenge, a takeover or a dispute, successful negotiation means getting what you want without offending the other party. Negotiating is not a one-off activity or a finite set of skills. It is an on-going challenge, which benefits from continual practice, analysis and review. Every negotiation is different, but the basic elements do not change. The tools and techniques provided in this course will assist participants become better negotiators, whether there is one issue or several; two parties or many. This UNITAR negotiation skills course is a foundation course developed to help professionals in full time work. This course forms part of a series of negotiation training courses that UNITAR is developing for a worldwide audience of officials and professionals. An important component of this course is a hands-on online simulation exercise which will give participants an international negotiation perspective through peer-to-peer exchanges under the guidance of an expert.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Define the basic elements and theories of international negotiations;
- Apply proper negotiation strategies;
- Recognize the appropriate procedure in negotiation/arbitration proceedings; and
- Recommend to their colleagues/organizations measures in dealing with complex negotiations.
The course consists of the following modules:
- Module 1: Overview of the Theory of Negotiation
- Module 2: The Negotiation Cycle and related Tips
- Module 3: Practical techniques for improving Negotiation
- Module 4: Online Simulation Negotiation Exercise
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles and by the inclusion of non-linear learning that aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants maximum flexibility of scheduling , the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically to professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
This foundation course is designed for professionals from government, public finance, investment, trade, corporate finance, project management, treasury, as well as academic circles. Finance professionals, lawyers and accountants alike will benefit from this course.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.