This training course focuses on the environment and natural resource management in a post-conflict context. It is a general awareness training that targets all military, civilian and police personnel and should be completed either pre-deployment or once in-mission. Key areas of learning include minimizing the environmental impact of peacekeeping missions, improving operational efficiency from an environmental perspective and addressing environmental and natural resource challenges at field level.
As a direct answer to the Greening the Blue report recommendation, the aim of this training module is to increase general awareness of key environmental and natural resource concepts to all peacekeeping staff.
- Linkages: At the end of the course, participants will be able to describe how environment and natural resource link to and affect peacekeeping operations.
- Benefits: At the end of the course, participants will be able to identify the multiple benefits of addressing environment and natural resources in peacekeeping.
- Policies: At the end of the course, participants will be able to describe how environment and natural resources are addressed by UN peacekeeping policies and mandates as well as sources of good practice.
- Responsibilities: At the end of the course participants will be able to explain personal responsibilities and actions to be taken by every peacekeeper to implement the DPKO/DFS environmental policy.
The course is broken down into three main sections:
- Introduction to the learning objectives and key concepts;
- Seven main reasons to care about environment and natural resources in peacekeeping operations;
- What can each of us do to address environment and natural resource challenges at the field level?
The course is self-paced. Content is presented through interactive slides, videos, maps and graphs. The learners will be assessed based on a quiz at the end of the course.
This general awareness raising training targets all military, police and civilian personnel working in or interested in working in peacekeeping operations.
This training module was developed by UNEP’s Post-Conflict and Disaster Management Branch in collaboration with UNITAR and the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD).
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K
You will receive an email with all the detailed information on how to access the course within 48 hours from the registration.