Leadership is the ability to create an environment where everyone knows what contribution is expected and feels totally committed to doing a great job. Needless to say, leadership is an essential skill for all successful managers to learn and practice regularly. Leadership is thus a complex skill - requiring keen psychological insight into the mind, behaviours (both rationale and irrational), beliefs, attitudes, values, emotions, human motivation, communication skills, and so on. Leadership development is surprisingly difficult. Reasons for this include organizational factors beyond our control, and individual factors which we can control. Leadership is much more than management. Leaders have vision and the ability to influence a group of people towards the achievement of that vision. It is an art of getting people to move together towards a goal that they don't see yet.
In this UNITAR e-Learning course, we will aim to provide participants information and understanding of the key concepts of leadership, its different styles, theories and skills that enables them to become successful and more effective leaders. The course will support and facilitate the development of knowledge, skills and attributes on leadership, enabling the participants to address various challenges that they may encounter as a leader. A successful completion of this course will enable participants to clearly identify the skills that lead to empowerment, to analyse their personal strengths, to realise the importance of having a vision, to set their goals and create an action plan to achieve those goals. While examining the various leadership qualities, the course will also enable the managers to identify and develop the right candidates to fill-in current and future leadership roles. The course is designed especially for finance professionals, but is also open to the general public who want to understand various leadership issues and skills to be a better leader. This course is a good start for participants to acquire skills on management and supervisory roles.
This course not only provides key techniques leaders use to realize their own and their team’s full potential but also provides practical advice to help develop the leadership aspects of your own role and to encourage leadership and initiative from everyone in your team.
In the words of Vince Lombardi, a great American football coach, "Leaders are not born. Leaders are made, and they are made by effort and hard work."
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Distinguish the various types of leadership styles and understand how they should be adapted to fit the requirement of a situation;
- Explain the major approaches to leadership and the attributes of a leader;
- Identify the various leadership skills and enhance their own leadership capabilities;
- Learn how to build their leadership competencies and successfully cope with the challenges in their leadership roles;
- Identify and develop future leadership within their organisation/staff members; and
- Construct a clear picture of the different attributes and leadership styles of some great leaders through examples of their leadership roles.
This online course will cover the following modules:
- Module I – Understanding Leadership
- Module II – Taking up Leadership Role
- Module III – Leading through Challenges
- Module IV – Developing Leaders
- Module V – Examples of Leaders
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles and by the inclusion of non-linear learning that aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants maximum flexibility of scheduling , the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically to professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
The target audience for this course are financial managers and professionals from all sectors: government, public finance, investment, trade, corporate finance, project management, treasury, as well as academic circles and civil society, who want to learn about leadership skills. The course is also useful for experts in other fields who wish to develop their leadership competencies. The course will be highly interactive in which all registered participants will share their extensive and diversified experiences dealing with leadership issues through UNITAR’s e-Learning portal.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.