The unique working environment of peace operations requires a specific set of skills and knowledge for successful mandate’s implementation. The mission’s structure involves the cooperation of many individuals that come from a variety of cultural, political, religious and educational backgrounds. Despite the broad range of personalities involved in a peace operation, all individuals work towards a common goal. To achieve an efficient and productive collaborative effort, leadership, team work and team management skills are essential.
The goal of this course is to provide participants with an overview of theories and practices related to leadership, teamwork and team management, applicable to the specific context of a peace operation.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate critically and apply a varied range of leadership concepts and approaches to complex environments;
- Analyse needs for organization change in volatile environments and identify relevant strategies to improve management;
- Assess situations independently to make strategic decisions in unpredictable environments;
- Use creatively and effectively digital and innovative tools for managing diverse teams;
- Develop specific strategies to deal with stress and identify traumatic stress in post-conflict settings.
Module 1: Introduction to leadership in complex environments
- Leadership theories and trends in leadership research;
- Application of emerging leadership theories to humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts;
- Ethic in leadership.
Module 2: Leading organisational change in humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts
- Change theories in humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts;
- Analysis of organisational change needs in humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts;
- Tools to overcome blockers – personal, cultural, procedural.
Module 3: Decision-making in unpredictable contexts
- Decision-making techniques in unpredictable contexts;
- Decision-making: intuitive vs. rational decisions.
Module 4: Team management in humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts
- Team management theories applied to humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts;
- Tools for building and managing successful teams (communication, cooperation, collaborative working).
Module 5: Teamwork in diverse teams
- Effective communication;
- Active listening;
Module 6: Stress and stress-management
- Types of stress and reactions to stress;
- Stress management;
- Personal resilience.
The Leadership, Team and Self-Management in Conflict Settings E-Learning course is a self-paced, web-based course to be accessed at will and at any time by the participants. Materials are presented in text format with supporting audio commentary, visual aids and web-based resources for self-administered further exploration of contents. Regular quiz activities will enable participants to scrutinize the knowledge which the course intends to convey. The course will furthermore make use of reflection tasks by offering the possibility to the participants to write an essay on one of the different topics proposed. This essay will not be assessed but you will have access to one sample answers for each proposed topic.
Primary audience: The course is designed for national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function serving or interested in serving in peace operations.
Secondary audience: The course also addresses a broad audience of civilians, from international and regional organizations, governmental and non-governmental organizations, universities and research centers working or interested in working with peace operations.
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
Windows 7 or superior;
MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or superior;
Intel Core 2 Duo – or AMD – 3 GHz processor;
3 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended);
Hard drive: 160 GB minimum.
Adobe Acrobat Reader;
Adobe Flash Player.
Google Chrome 30.0 or superior;
Mozilla Firefox 25.0 or superior;
Safari 7 or superior;
- Apple iOS in Apple iOS 10 or superior on iPad:
Articulate Mobile Player;
- Android OS in Android OS 4.1 or superior (optimized for tablets):
Articulate Mobile Player;