The unique working environment of peace operations requires a specific set of skills and knowledge for successful mandate’s implementation. The mission’s structure involves the cooperation of many individuals that come from a variety of cultural, political, religious and educational backgrounds. Despite the broad range of personalities involved in a peace operation, all individuals work towards a common goal. To achieve an efficient and productive collaborative effort, leadership, team work and team management skills are essential.
The goal of the course is to provide participants with an overview of theories and practices related to leadership, teamwork and team management, applicable to the specific context of a peace operation.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply theories of leadership and team management in the context of a peace operation;
- Summarize features of effective leadership;
- Utilize techniques for effective team building and team work;
- Identify personal strengths as a leader and the areas of potential development;
- Apply conflict management and problem solving skills.
The course is structured in four modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to management
- Module 2: Effective leadership
- Module 3: Team building, team management and team work
- Module 4: Problem diagnosing and problem solving
This course is delivered face-to-face within the premises of The United Service Institution of India (New Delhi). It utilizes the principles of adult education through its interactivity and learner- centred approach. Specifically, the course will use:
- Case studies
- Role play
- Small group discussions
- Interactive presentations
The course is designed for civilians, military and police personnel eager to serve in peace operations. The course builds on their existing skills and expertise by showing them how these can be applied in the complex context of peace operations and by providing them with the executive knowledge and additional personal skills they would require. Participants are expected to have no prior, or limited, experience in peace operations and to come from a vast and diverse demographic and professional range. The course is neither specialized for a particular gender or age group, nor to specific background experience and education. Nevertheless, it is highly advisable that participants have an overall understanding of the structure, components and functioning of a peace operation.
Applicants must complete the application form and upload their CVs by clicking on the "Apply here" button on the top of this page.Questions should be directed to the following address: