The unique working environment of peace operations requires a specific set of skills and knowledge for successful mandate’s implementation. The mission’s structure involves the cooperation of many individuals that come from a variety of cultural, political, religious and educational backgrounds. Despite the broad range of personalities involved in a peace operation, all individuals work towards a common goal. To achieve an efficient and productive collaborative effort, leadership, team work and team management skills are essential.
The goal of this course is to provide participants with an overview of theories and practices related to leadership, teamwork and team management, applicable to the specific context of a peace operation.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply theories of leadership and team management in the context of a peace operation;
- Summarize features of effective leadership;
- Utilize techniques for effective team building and team work;
- Identify personal strengths as a leader and the areas of potential development;
- Apply conflict management and problem solving skills.
The course is composed of four modules that will be covered over four weeks:
- Module 1: Introduction to management
- Module 2: Effective leadership
- Module 3: Team building, team management and team work
- Module 4: Problem diagnosing and problem solving