The UN system is mainly financed through assessed and voluntary contributions from member states. The UN Specialized Agencies are funded partly through assessments and voluntary contributions. The course will go through the Regular Budget, the Peacekeeping Budget, and the international tribunal’s budget, which are funded through assessments. Also how the UN Programmes and Funds are financed through voluntary contributions from member countries. The participation of UN officials and elected chairs of the ACABQ and JIU, as well as the role of those institutions in the budget delivering process is of paramount importance to new delegates. The Fifth Committee as a General Assembly specialized policy making process is a critical part of understanding the UN Budget System.
To educate new delegates on the work of the Fifth Committee and all of the relevant organs surrounding it.
Strengthened knowledge, skills and awareness in areas related to budgeting and finance, budgeting bodies of the United Nations, and the United Nations Budgeting System as a whole.
4 half a day modules where participant will:
- Describe the structure and form of United Nations resolutions and decisions on the Budget;
- Understand the structure of the UN Budgeting system,
- Get up to date in current topics of the 5th committee
- Apply this improved understanding and enhanced skills when drafting and submitting resolutions in the Fifth Committee ;
- Distinguish the rules and practices relating to the adoption of resolutions in the Fifth Committee.
Train 75 new delegates on the Skills and Knowledge necessary for the Fifth Committee of the United Nations System.