The goal of the course is to provide participants with an interactive, practical and engaging overview of the IDDRS, familiarizing them with the various components.
- Define DDR concepts and identify relevant policies and strategies, including the United Nations integrated approach to DDR;
- Describe integrated DDR planning and programme design;
- Analyze DDR operations, programmes and support activities, more specifically the processes of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration;
- Integrate cross-cutting issues pertinent to DDR policies and strategies into DDR policies and strategies;
- Link DDR programmes with other peace-building processes.
The course is structured in six modules that will be covered over four weeks:
- Module 1: The UN approach to DDR
- Module 2: Integrated DDR planning and programme design
- Module 3: Disarmament and demobilization
- Module 4: Reintegration
- Module 5: Cross-cutting issues
- Module 6: Linkages with other processes
Courses address a broad audience of civilians, such as students, researchers, academics and individuals from governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function.