The year 2015 represents a key opportunity to take great steps in ensuring women’s empowerment is placed at the heart of the global agenda. The UN system stands ready to review the Millennium Development Goals and decide upon the post-2015 development framework and Sustainable Development Goals, as well as deciding on a new post-2015 climate change framework at the UNFCCC COP21 conference in Paris, and celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action.
This high level panel discussion will launch the new Women’s Leadership Programme.
Launched by UNITAR, with the support of UN Women, UNDP, UNISDR, the WMO and the UNFCCC Secretariat, the Women’s Leadership Programme recognises the commitment of the UN System towards gender equality and the empowerment of women, through the delivery of activities to strengthen the voice of women in diplomacy and enhance opportunities for the achievement of women’s potential.
The panel discussion will seek to:
- Analyse the gender-specific impacts of weather and climate risks;
- Consider the role of women in diplomacy, and the importance of gender parity on delegations to the WMO, UNFCCC, DRR, post-2015 processes and others;
- Consider the challenges that currently exist and the obstacles that must be overcome in order to advance gender parity on delegations;
- Highlight actions, decisions and activities already being undertaken to promote gender-sensitivity and empower women in leadership, government and diplomacy;
- Launch the Women’s Leadership Programme as a vehicle and tool for increasing collaboration and action in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Composition of the Panel
- H.E. Ambassador Cecile Rebong, Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the United Nations Office at Geneva
- H.E. Ambassador Päivi Kairamo, Permanent Representative of Finland to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva
- H.E. Ambassador John Quinn, Permanent Representative of Australia to the United Nations and Conference on Disarmament in Geneva
- Sally Fegan-Wyles, ASG, Acting Head, Executive Director, UNITAR (moderator)
- Elena Manaenkova, ASG, World Meteorological Organisation (WMO)
- Neil Buhne, Director of the Geneva Liaison Office, UNDP
Video Messages from:
- Lakshmi Puri, ASG for Intergovernmental Support and Strategic Partnerships, UN Women
- Margareta Wahlström, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR
- Amina Mohammed, Special Advisor of the Secretary-General on Post 2015 Development Planning, Executive Office of the Secretary-General, United Nations
Delegates to the World Meteorological Congress, members of the diplomatic community in Geneva and International Civil Servants are welcome to attend. NGOs, private sector, academia and civil society are also invited to join.
Registration is compulsory for all participants. Participants not in possession of a blue UN badge will need to register at the reception desk of CICG.
Event Time and Location:
Tuesday 26 May 2015, 17h30 – 19h00
Salle 1 in CICG, Geneva, Switzerland