Home › Fixed-term contract Specialist – P3 Decentralized Cooperation Programme, Training Department ›
Fixed-term contract Specialist – P3 Decentralized Cooperation Programme, Training Department
Title: Specialist – P3
Unit/Department: Decentralized Cooperation Programme, Training Department
Type of contract: Fixed-term
Deadline for applications: 27 February 2014
Date of issuance: 28 January 2014
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Remuneration: In accordance with the UN rules and regulations
Accountabilities: Under the supervision of the Manager, Decentralized Cooperation Programme (DCP), the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
1. Coordinate and support the CIFAL Global Network (10 Centres covering the Americas, Africa, Asia-Pacific and Europe), by:
• Acting as the focal point for the CIFAL Global Network and its related activities;
• Providing substantive inputs and support to the development of training activities of the CIFAL Network;
• Improving the quality of the overall capacity-building and training activities and the overall training approach used to be more in line with certification requirements;
• Participating in the development, implementation, and evaluation of training activities and workshops (support the Centres in the preparatory work, draft agenda, relevant documents on specific topics/activities; identify resource persons, identify potential participants, develop curricula);
• Maintaining close communication with each CIFAL Director and staff via monthly conference calls and daily communication as needed;
• Monitoring the implementation of the UNITAR guidelines by each CIFAL Centre;
• Providing coaching to CIFAL staff to implement the UNITAR Quality Assurance (QA) Framework and the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Framework;
• Organising the annual CIFAL Steering Committee Meeting;
• Developing publications, papers on themes related to the work of the Network;
In order to:
• Achieve an efficient implemention of CIFAL guidelines and ensure a more integrated and sustainable network.
• Reinforce the positionning of the CIFALs as training centers of excellence that provide high quality services to its constituencies.
2. Oversee and support Antwerp-ITCCO (International Training Centre for Corporate Opportunities), by:
• Monitoring UNITAR’s affiliated training center in Antwerp ITCCO - the International Training Center for Corporate Opportunities, and ensure compliance with UNITAR guidelines for its affiliated training center;
• Liaising with relevant partner organizations for ITCCO to maintain effective ongoing relations with donors and key stakeholders;
• Providing support to ITCCO training activities as needed;
3. Participate in the development of marketing and branding tools for the CIFAL Network, by:
• Contributing to the development of a marketing and communication strategy for the CIFAL Global Network in accordance with UNITAR and the CIFALs branding guidelines and in the framework of the Institute’s 50th anniversary;
• Organising other activities to strengthen the CIFAL network based on available resources;
• Promoting the participation of CIFAL Centres in major international events;
• Developing an on line library or repository to share relevant documents and materials;
• Promoting CIFALs training sessions/ workshops and other activities at DCPs webpage and UNITAR’s overall website;
• In order to:
• Increase visibility of the CIFAL Network and DCP.
• Strengthen the image and the branding of the programme at international level.
• Ensure that the CIFAL network is functional and adds value to the programme.
4. Initiate the establishment of new CIFALs, by:
• Identifying and contacting potential partners and promoting the added value of the CIFAL platform;
• Daily follow-up of the negotiation process for the implementation of the CIFAL Guidelines with the selected partners;
• Preparing and agreeing the partnership agreement(s) and draft plan(s) of activities for the CIFAL;
In order to:
• Create new hubs for capacity building and knowledge sharing for local actors.
• Ensure more balanced geographic coverage of the CIFAL Network.
5. Contribute to develop partnerships and participate in networking and fundraising activities for DCP, by:
• Managing the relationship DCP’s strategic partners and providing them with regular information on DCP achievements;
• Establishing and maintain good relationships with associations of local and national governments in order to assess the training needs and to mobilize participants and experts for workshops and conferences;
• Liaising and partnering with relevant parties both outside (NGO’s, research institutes, academia, other international organizations, associations of local authorities, private sector) and inside UNITAR;
• Drafting proposals to potential donors (governments, companies, international organizations) and participating to the mobilization of additional funding for the programme;
• Participating in relevant conferences and workshops representing UNITAR;
In order to:
• Maintain and sustain the partnerships in the long run.
• Build up new partnerships with relevant organizations (NGOs, research institutes, academia. Other international organizations, associations of local authorities, private sector).
• Contribute to increase the financial sustainability of the Programme.
6. Coordinate capacity-building projects for DCP, by:
• Researching target audience needs and capacity;
• Designing, Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating capacity-building and training projects (e.g. e-Learning, face-to-face, or blended learning);
• Developing the training projects agenda and content;
• Drafting budgets for training projects and monitoring the expenditure of funds to ensure efficiency in project resource management;
• Mobilizing partners for training projects;
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
• The directors and the staff of CIFAL Atlanta, Curitiba, Merida, Jeju, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Plock and Scotland, Ouagadougou, and new CIFALs as appropriate;
• The general manager of the Antwerp-ITCCO;
• Counterparts, senior officers and technical staff in related organizational units across the institution, and other UN programmes and agencies;
• Non-governmental organizations and other areas of civil society;
• Representatives and officials in national governments, international organizations, universities, private sector; regional associations of local authorities.
Results Expected: enhanced coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the CIFAL Global Network, provision of thorough, well reasoned written contributions, e.g., background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications etc; building/facilitation of strategic contacts and partnerships; maintenance of effective working relationships; promulgation of coherent policies, and ensuring the consistent adherence to these by clients; efficient use of resources; effective interaction with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally.
• Professionalism – Knowledge and understanding of decentralization and local government issues; Practical experience in programme/project management and administration; good research, analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; familiarity with the use of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases;
• Planning & Organizing – Sound organizational skills and ability to prioritize own work programme, work under pressure.
• Commitment to continuous learning – Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field.
• Communications – Good communication/spoken and written skills, including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports, studies and other communications and to articulate ideas in a clear, concise style.
• Technology awareness – Fully proficient computer skills and use of software and other applications, e.g. word processing, graphics software, spreadsheets and other statistical applications, internet, etc.
• Teamwork – Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Education: Advanced university degree in economics, public policy/administration, urban studies, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in social and economic development related areas, programme management, policy analysis, international affairs or related fields. Experience in managing a training facility is a plus. Proven record in fundraising activities is required. Experience in partnership development and in working with private sector associations is a must. Experience with training of government officials is needed. Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies is required.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English and Spanish; knowledge of French or another official UN language an advantage.
Other skills: Experience in research, evaluation and policy development. Working experience in developing countries.
UNITAR shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Priority will be given to the applicants from the under represented regions at UNITAR. There will be a probation period of 3 months.
How to apply:
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement. Only complete applications will be considered. A letter of motivation as well as the P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent to:
UN staff members must submit copies of their latest Performance Appraisal System (PAS) report at the time of application.
07 Apr 2014
03 Apr 2014
30 Mar 2014
- 1 of 186