Project title, Programme: Post-2015 Research and Training Project (Research Department)
Unit/Department: Research Department
Deadline for applications: 25 August 2013
Date of issuance: 6 August 2013
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas: International affairs, sustainable development, training and adult learning, and/or social media and crowdsourcing.
Overview (quick description of the funded project and its context):
Under the supervision of the Director of Research, Technology Applications and Knowledge Systems, the incumbent will assist a small team in the development of a multi-stakeholder UN project concerning knowledge development and professional training in support of country delegations tasked with negotiating the Post-2015 Development Goals, and key national experts tasked with implementing the Goals at national level. The project will have two tracks: one dedicated to delegates and experts representing UN Member States, and one dedicated to key national experts required to take action domestically on the Development Goals established by the international community.
Assist the project development team by:
- Assisting the Director of Research daily in all matters regarding the guidance and implementation of the project
- Conducting research and documentation review on the global consultation process leading to the formation of the Post-2015 Development Goals
- Working daily with the Project design team as a resource and support person in the areas of sustainable development and/or the use of social media and web-based participatory processes
- Becoming involved in the specific design of the two tracks of the Project by reviewing selected project material and drafting documents and training components structure for the team
- Assisting in the planning of team meetings, the management of deliverables and other maintaining records for the team
- Draft report on Post-2015 global consultation process by thematic areas, focus element for training design
- Research study on the involvement of the crowd in the design of the Post-2015 Goals via social media and web-based participatory processes
- Draft training components for both tracks of the training output of the Project
- Journal of the Project including team meetings, progress benchmarks, and meetings schedule
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results:
- Quality of assistance provided to Research Director and Project Team
- Quality and timeliness of draft report and research study
- Improvement effect on Project team results
Upon completion of the internship, the incumbent will:
- Understand and be familiar with the global consultation process led by the United Nations to arrive to the formulation of the Post-2015 development agenda
- Be familiar with the interlinks between the global development agenda and other important priorities of the international community and the UN system
- Gained direct experience in working within an international team of UN experts and staff
- Gained knowledge of the work processes in use at the United Nations and participated directly in UN working meetings and inter-agency events.
The intern/trainee will report directly to the Director of Research.
Duration of internship:
Minimum 3 months, maximum 6 months.
Remarks: General conditions of contracts for the service of internship/traineeship apply.
How to apply
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
A letter of motivation as well as the P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with relevant UN regulations and policies internships/traineeship are non-remunerated. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of interns/trainees and their sponsoring institutions.
Due to the high number of applications expected only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your understanding.