Leadership and Management Training Programme
UNITAR Hiroshima has developed a high level training programme on leadership and management through long experience training senior government officials, including officials from Afghanistan and Iraq. The workshop examines practical tools that can equip staff at all levels of management with the skills and insights necessary to achieve departmental and national visions.
The highly interactive training programme includes presentations, group exercises, study-tours and discussions, allowing participant to share their years of experience so that they can work to form a cohesive, self-reinforcing network of trained leaders. Participants examine theories, methodologies, and practical tools in areas such as self-awareness; actionable leadership; effective communication; developing and empowering high performing teams; and action plan development and implementation.
Participants also receive a comprehensive set of reference and background material.
By the end of the training programme participants will be able to:
- Describe their own personality style, and how that impacts leadership
- Identify skills fundamentally important to leadership in the public sector
- Outline skills necessary for undertaking and analysing the results of Organisational Needs Assessments
- Recall Human Resources Management procedures
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of action plan development
- Illustrate stakeholder identification and integration strategies.
- Outline the benefits of effective communication, and skills to improve communication
- Illustrate a deeper understanding of the nature of teams and how to lead them
- Express an understanding of the effective management of change
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of monitoring and evaluation strategies.
The training programme is based on a blended-learning participatory approach and includes:
Interactive Lectures and Group Exercises
Interactive lectures are facilitated by key Resource Persons who examine the themes of the Workshop from a broad theoretical perspective down to case studies examining real world implementation. These presentations are augmented by small group exercises and frequent discussions from the floor, which serve to contextualise the issues being examined.
Representing a key component of the Workshop, after-action reviews takes place within groups at the start of each morning, discussing the main issues raised in the previous presentations, as well as the specific frames of reference as applied to these by participants.
Personal Profile Questionnaires
The DiSC Personality Profile test, a behaviour assessment tool, allows participants to understand more closely their own emotions and motivating factors. This also gives insight into members of their team, and what motivates them, and can improve work productivity, teamwork and communication.
Underscoring the theoretical introductions and analysis presented, study tours form an integral part of the training methodologies utilised by UNITAR. Participants are able to relate to what has been seen and discussed in the training programme with actual examples of policy development and implementation.
Project Completion Reports
The UNITAR Hiroshima Leadership and Management Training Programme has been successfully developed and delivered to the following entities:
Afghanistan Civil Service Institute (ASCI) and UNDP Afghanistan
Istanbul, Turkey and Kabul, Afghanistan; August and September 2013
Iraqi Ministry of Oil
Hiroshima and Tokyo, Japan; 16-29 March 2013
Hiroshima and Tokyo, Japan; 26 January–1 February 2014