Customized Training on Multilateral Diplomacy and International Affairs Management
Download the Customized Training Catalogue
Upon the request of UN Member States and/or in partnership with intergovernmental organizations, UNITAR designs and delivers tailor-made courses on themes related to multilateral diplomacy and international affairs. The duration, content and structure of the courses are defined in close consultation with the beneficiaries, governments and partner organizations in order to meet specific needs.
UNITAR’s customized training activities on multilateral diplomacy and international affairs can be implemented face-to-face in Geneva or in the beneficiary’s country, as well as online as e-Learning programmes. The course content can be designed and prepared according to partners’ needs however the following information applies to all the training activities. If you need more information, please contact Ms. Emily Fraser, email@example.com.
UNITAR’s customized training activities in multilateral diplomacy and international affairs target:
- Junior to senior level diplomats, and other government officials or experts acting as representatives to their governments at the United Nations or at international conferences
- Government officers from specialized Ministries working on international issues (environment, security, trade etc.), university professors, academics, lawyers and staff of non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
To optimize training, groups for face-to-face activities are usually limited to 40 participants, groups for e-Learning courses to 60 participants.
Recent activities include:
- Peace and Security Retreat for Algerian Diplomats
- Communication Skills and Media Relations Training for Diplomats from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Workshop on Climate Change Diplomacy and Health for Asian Ministry officials
The trainers and resource persons selected by UNITAR are experts in the fields of international relations, diplomatic practice and international law, coming from both academic and policy circles, including practitioners from both within and outside the UN system.
UNITAR usually provides a set of training material, prepared in close cooperation with the resource persons, consisting of copies of presentations, selected readings, instructions for the interactive exercises and discussion group assignments, relevant publications, etc.
The design and training methodologies of the training devotes particular attention to:
- Interactivity: The courses involve participants actively with discussions, feedback rounds and group exercises
- Learning-by-doing: This approach allows participants to learn how to apply theories to concrete situations, either through case studies, role plays or simulation exercises
- Experience Sharing: The courses draw from the experience, knowledge and personal resources of the participants
Since the content, methods and structure of the training is always tailored to the specific needs of the participants and defined in close consultation with the beneficiary, government or partner organization(s), the duration of the course usually varies from audience to audience. On average, face-to-face trainings normally last one week, whilst e-Learning courses can last from four to eight weeks.
All training activities can be offered in English and/or French. Interpretation to other United Nations official languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish) can be provided at an additional cost.
Trainings can take place in-country or in Geneva, Switzerland, where the headquarters of UNITAR is located.