Individual Contractor - Partnership for Action on Green Economy Cambodia – Project Coordinator
Green economy, project management, public policy
The Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) (www.un-page.org) supports countries and regions in reframing economic policies and practices around sustainability to foster economic growth, create income and jobs, reduce poverty and inequality, and strengthen the ecological foundations of their economies. PAGE brings together five UN agencies – UN Environment Programme (UNEP), International Labour Organization (ILO), UN Development Programme (UNDP), UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), and UNITAR – whose mandates, expertise and networks combined can offer integrated and holistic support to countries on inclusive green economy, ensuring coherence and avoiding duplication.
Cambodia joined PAGE as a new partner country in 2022. The programme will run over a period of five years, including a six-months to one-year inception phase. Cambodia has embraced green economy principles under the National Strategic Plan on Green Growth 2013-2030. In addition, the Royal Government of Cambodia has laid out the Cambodia Vision 2050, the Rectangular Strategy Phase IV, the National Strategic Development Plan 2019-2023, and the Cambodian Sustainable Development Goals Framework 2016-2030 with the aim of achieving upper-middle income status by 2030 while addressing social inclusion and environmental sustainability. PAGE support comes at a critical time as the Government is developing its post-Covid economic recovery strategy, including a pillar dedicated to promoting a more resilient and sustainable economy. UNITAR will be acting as the main coordinating agency for the PAGE project in Cambodia.
The Individual Contractor will support with planning, coordinating and implementing the PAGE project in Cambodia, by facilitating linkages with relevant national government ministries and agencies, policy processes and development partners.
- Facilitate the implementation of the PAGE inception phase
- Work with a national research institute for conducting an “Economic Transformation Analysis”, including consultations with key stakeholders;
- Support the Government in setting up a National Steering Committee for PAGE;
- Organize an inception mission with representatives of all five UN agencies;
- Support the organization of a high-level launch event and planning workshop.
- Lead on PAGE project management, coordination and communication
- Liaise with national ministries, stakeholders and development partners to effectively engage with PAGE;
- Support regular meetings of the PAGE National Steering Committee and the PAGE interagency team;
- Facilitate coordination with the UN Resident Coordinator (UNRC) Office and other members of the UN Country Team and identify areas for joint action;
- Facilitate PAGE inputs to the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework;
- Engage with PAGE funding partners present in the country, as well as other development partners, to inform them of PAGE work and ensure linkages with their programmes;
- Play a lead role in drafting the PAGE project logframe and multi-year country workplans;
- Facilitate and monitor the implementation of agreed work plans, and proactively communicate and address potential challenges in meeting project commitments;
- Coordinate activities of PAGE agencies, with national and local-level partners;
- Support the organization of technical and high-level PAGE events;
- Develop news articles about PAGE activities for the national media and global PAGE website.
- Support overall strategic planning for PAGE’s engagement in Cambodia
- Facilitate alignment of PAGE delivery with relevant national policy processes;
- Monitor national policy processes and socio-economic developments and analyze implications for PAGE;
- Identify opportunities for green economic transformation within the core offer of PAGE;
- Support mobilization of national and international resources and partnerships for IGE policy reform and implementation;
- Encourage consideration of gender in all PAGE-related activities.
- Prepare regular reports on progress and results achieved
- Prepare monthly updates and prepare quarterly reports in line with guidelines provided by the PAGE Secretariat;
- Maintain statistics of participation in national PAGE activities;
- Develop an annual report for all PAGE activities in the country;
- Identify and share lessons and challenges encountered.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
The incumbent will report to the Senior Specialist, Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit, Division for Planet.
- An advanced degree in Economics, Environmental Science, Political Science, International or Development Studies or another relevant field is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in the field of green economy and public policy.
- Documented experience in coordinating complex projects working with Government officials and other stakeholders in Cambodia.
- Ability to identify and promote effective actions in a highly dynamic and complex environment.
- Ability to plan own work, observe deadlines and manage multiple workstreams and conflicting priorities.
- Very good inter-personal skills and demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentation), including the ability to draft a variety of written documents and articulate ideas in a clear and concise style.
- Integrity and commitment to the mandate and values of the United Nations.
- Fluency in both English and Khmer is required (oral and written).
Incumbents are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local laws. UNITAR does not reimburse for any taxes, duty, or other contribution payable by the Contractors on payments made under the contract.
UNITAR does not provide or arrange life or health insurance coverage for Contractors, and Contractors are not eligible to participate in the life and health insurance schemes provided by the UN for its staff members.
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Candidates are invited to submit their application as soon as possible and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to the high number of expected applications, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.