Traineeship - Online Training Programmes and Field Visits
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains a traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDPU develops and delivers training activities in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organisations. MDPU’s activities also include online training programmes; special projects, advisory services and the development of other training tools and publications.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of three to six months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva and/or remotely. The placement is on an unpaid basis, but a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided towards transportation and miscellaneous costs.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to strengthen multilateralism, the spirit of international cooperation and global solidarity, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit is developing a series of training activities implemented both online and face-to-face.
Online Training Programmes last between 2-6 weeks, mostly take place during the winter and summer months and are entirely implemented on UNITAR`s e-Learning platform. They comprise e-Learning modules, live-webinars, e-workshops and virtual guided tours. Live-components are delivered through the software Zoom.
Field Visits are 1-2 weeks of length, mostly taking place during the winter and summer months and allow participants to experience Geneva`s multilateral environment first-hand. They entail a series of expert lectures, training workshops, guided tours, visits of UN agencies, multilateral conferences and cultural activities.
Under the supervision of the Training Associate of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the trainee will assist in the preparation and implementation of a number Online Training Programmes and Field Visits to Geneva, mostly taking place in January and February 2022.
The trainee will assist in, inter alia, liaising with the partner institutions, collecting information about participants, managing content on the virtual e-Learning platform and preparing arrangements for the arrival of participants for the field visits to Geneva.
The trainee will also help facilitate the live-components in the online training programmes and accompany the groups during the implementation of the field visits to Geneva. Typical tasks assigned to the trainee may include the following:
- Coordination of logistics before, during and after the training programmes;
- Facilitation and monitoring of online and face-to-face training sessions;
- Support of the programme in its outreach and communication strategy;
- Creation and improvement of online and other training material;
After the assignment the trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR and United Nations staff;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (within either international relations, education, history, law, political science, languages or a related subject) or be a recent graduate of the aforementioned (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
Candidates are expected to be dynamic and team oriented. The most important eligibility criteria are:
- High level of organizational capacity, including time-management, logistics, planning;
- Familiarity with implementing online training programmes, events or related activities;
- Experience with organizing field visits, tour guiding or related activities;
- Strong social and interpersonal skills;
- Adherence to UN values and principles, including cooperation, respect and solidarity;
- Knowledge of the United Nations System and international affairs;
- Expertise in digital marketing and social media platforms an asset;
- Graphic design and photo/video recording and editing skills an asset;
- Strong networks to new potential partners and participants an asset;
Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English are required. Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese an asset.
Please submit your application along with a letter of motivation as soon as possible. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.