Sustainability is a key element that needs to be implemented in every aspect of the environment we leave in.
For this purpose, UNITAR partnered with MLA College to launch the Bachelor in Global Sustainable Development. The collaboration between the MLA College and UNITAR takes place within the framework of CIFAL City of London, the 25th CIFAL Center established, to promote the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and integrate them into higher education programmes.
In order to introduce the students to the concepts and thinking behind the idea of sustainability, the Programme starts by exploring key thinkers and issues in engaging the global community with the notion of sustainable development. At the same time, the Bachelor in Global Sustainable Development presents important ways to investigate, interrogate, and analyse new research in sustainable development. The Programme focuses on the connections between the classic ‘three pillars’ of sustainability; society, economy, and the environment, as it is these connections that present the greatest challenges and opportunities to forging a sustainable world.
The BSc Global Sustainable Development (Top Up) Programme is designed to meet the needs of students who may have no formal higher education experience or have yet to gain a degree elsewhere. This Programme is your stepping stone to a career in GSD, either as a newcomer to the field but with study experience in a different area, with work experience in sustainability but with no formal higher education qualification, or a mixture of the two.
The course aims to:
- Provide a sound, and critical, understanding of sustainable development, particularly with reference to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Show how sustainability is conceived and practised differently across the globe.
- Provide key theoretical and practical knowledge of a range of subjects that are important considerations within the SDGs.
- Enable students to understand the role of individuals, communities, and institutions in delivering sustainable development.
- Foster debate and enable students to express reasoned, evidence-based arguments.
KEY PROGRAMME INFORMATION
- Degree: BSc (Hons) Global Sustainable Development
- Language: English
- Awarding Body: University of Plymouth
- Start: January, May or September (Next start date is 8th May 2023)
- Cost: £7,750
- Duration: 24 months
Please find more information about the Bachelor in Global Sustainable Development on the MLA College website.
- A copy of your CV
- A suitable English language certificate, for example, an IELTS. A full list of certificates accepted can be found here. (For International students only)
- Copies of academic certificates and/or transcripts
- A copy of your passport (photo page only)
- A 200-300 word personal statement explaining your motivation for wanting to join this Programme. You may find the Guidance document helpful.
The admissions process will assess your readiness to study and promote you into the final year of a traditional degree programme (hence the name ‘Top Up’).
Applicants must meet one of the below criteria:
- A Foundation Degree, or equivalent, in a related subject area
- Relevant work or life experience in a relevant subject area
- English language GCSE Grade C or above. Click here for international student requirements.
Applications for this Programme can be made up of the following:
- Qualifications from a recognised education provider, or professional bodies.
- Prior work experience relevant to the Programme.
- A mix of both qualifications and relevant work experience.
As part of the evaluation of your application, you may be asked to provide further information about your work experience by completing a Mapping Matrix.
For further information about the Admissions Process and Mapping Matrix read the Admissions Statement here.
If you have any questions about the Master's Programme, please reach out to Ms. Belinda Payne at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.