Traineeship – Field Visits and Online Training Programmes
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains a traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDPU develops and delivers training activities in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organisations. MDPU’s activities also include online training programmes; special projects, advisory services and the development of other training tools and publications.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of two to three months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. The placement is on an unpaid basis, but a monthly lump-sum of 900 CHF will be provided towards transportation and miscellaneous costs.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to strengthen multilateralism, the spirit of international cooperation and global solidarity, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit is developing a series of training activities implemented both face-to-face and online.
Field Visits are 1-2 weeks of length, mostly taking place during January and February 2024 and allow participants to experience Geneva`s multilateral environment first-hand. They entail a series of expert lectures, training workshops, guided tours, visits of UN agencies, multilateral conferences and cultural activities.
Online Training Programmes last between 2-4 weeks, mostly take place during January and February 2024 and are entirely implemented on UNITAR`s e-Learning platform. They comprise e-Learning modules, live-webinars, e-workshops and virtual guided tours. Live-components are delivered through the software Zoom.
Under the supervision of the Associate Programme Officer of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the trainee will assist in the preparation and implementation of a number of Field Visits and Online Training, mostly taking place in January and February 2024.
The trainee will assist in, inter alia, liaising with the partner institutions, collecting information about participants, managing content on the virtual e-Learning platform and preparing arrangements for the arrival of participants for the field visits to Geneva.
The trainee will also help facilitate the live-components in the online training programmes and accompany the groups during the implementation of the field visits to Geneva. Typical tasks assigned to the trainee may include the following:
- Coordination of logistics before, during and after the training programmes;
- Facilitation and monitoring of face-to-face and online training sessions;
- Support of the programme in its outreach and communication strategy;
- Creation and improvement of online and other training material;
After the assignment the trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR and United Nations staff;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Education: Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (within either international relations, education, history, law, political science, languages or a related subject) or be a recent graduate of the aforementioned (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
Languages: Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English are required. Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese is an asset.
Experience: Candidates are expected to be dynamic and team oriented. The most important eligibility criteria are:
- High level of organizational capacity, including time-management, logistics, planning;
- Experience with organizing field visits, tour guiding or related activities;
- Familiarity with implementing online training programmes, events or related activities;
- Strong social and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of the United Nations System and international affairs;
- Adherence to UN values and principles, including cooperation, respect and solidarity;
- Expertise in digital marketing and social media platforms an asset;
- Graphic design and photo/video recording and editing skills an asset;
- Strong networks to new potential partners and participants an asset.
Start date: early January 2024 (exact date to be discussed with prospective candidate)
Duration: 3 months (exact length to be discussed with prospective candidate). Traineeship is on a full-time basis and trainees are expected to work five days a week, office-based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Please submit your application along with a motive letter as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.