UNOSAT and NORAD signed a new cooperation framework. Thanks to this renewed support, UNOSAT will be able to sustain and expand its longstanding efforts to strengthen capacities in the use of geospatial information technologies for improved resilience in the Asia-Pacific and Africa.
This 3 years project builds on previous experiences, and aims to further enhance capacities in introducing technological advancement and providing integrated solutions for decision making in the fields of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Climate Resilience, Environmental Preservation & Food Security.
Strengthened awareness, skills and knowledge.
Based on comprehensive capacity needs assessments in close consultation with stakeholders, capacity development activities will comprise of national technical training, and technical backstopping, as well as regional awareness-raising events.
Training courses will cover country-specific application domains and will allow participants to acquire skills to undertake spatial analysis. Every learning experience will be tailored to participants, using blended learning methods and formats.
In addition to trainings, the backbone of capacity development efforts will be technical backstopping. Various products will be developed in collaboration with the implementing partners to support informed decision-making. Through the UNOSAT regional offices and in-country experts, the beneficiaries will be accompanied throughout the project duration.
To ensure sustainable knowledge transfer, all distance-learning solutions will be hosted on a dedicated knowledge platform, and will integrate a community of practice.
Sustainable Development Goals
While geographic information is crosscutting by nature, thus contributing to work towards most of the SDGs, the project will focus on applications that are related to the following goals:
- SDG2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- SDG11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG13 Strengthening resilience to climate-related hazards and natural disasters by promoting adequate siting, land-use policies and emergency plans.
- SDG 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss