Individual Contractor - Project Coordinator
Global health, public health, project management
The Social Development Programme Unit (SDPU) of UNITAR provides training to local actors to enhance their capacity to achieve sustainable development in their areas of influence, with a particular focus on the Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030.
Plasma-derived therapies play a vital role in treating rare and life-threatening diseases. Despite their importance, there is a significant disparity between the global demand for these therapies and the available supply. This challenge to healthcare systems of low- and middle-income countries in particular leaves numerous patients without adequate treatment options. By developing a knowledge base, fostering a collaborative network, and encouraging development of new policies and standards based on the latest scientific evidence and best practices, the Plasma Project aims to create a comprehensive framework for change. The project engages various stakeholders, including governments, national blood centers, academia, patient organizations, and industry representatives, to pave the way for future phases and facilitate the implementation of impactful improvements in access to plasma-derived therapies worldwide.
Under the direct supervision of Director of the Division for People, the individual contractor shall undertake tasks related to the development and implementation of the Programme’s activities in the area of global health, and in particular, the plasma portfolio.
- Support overall coordination of the project
- Support project implementation plan based on the project document of the Plasma Initiative
- Liaise with UNITAR staff as necessary (admin, procurement, finance)
- Proactively maintain communication with the Plasma Initiative partners
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Coordinate expert technical working groups, including coordination of meetings
- Manage agreements, amendments, memorandums of understanding and budgets via the UNITAR Project Tracking Tool and ensure all necessary information is up to date
- Manage data management for the UNITAR Event Management System
- Support human resources and administrative processes
Content development and communications
- Develop and update the Plasma Initiative online platform to act as an entry point for project updates
- Contribute to development of content materials for the Plasma Initiative knowledge hub
- Manage mass e-mailing, communications and graphic design requests and liaise with UNITAR staff as necessary
- Assist in the development of a communications plan for the project
- In coordination with SDP communications focal point, support the implementation of the communications plan
- Design and implement online capacity building events and workshops on topics related to sustainable supply of plasma
- Coordinate online event activities in collaboration with partners
- Develop concept notes and agendas based on strategic relevance
- Coordinate outreach to potential panelists and hosts, manage online platform, logistics, planning and execution of online events
- Coordinate and manage development of promotional material and social media messaging
- Manage evaluation processes, development of event reports and data management
Monitoring & reporting
- Continuously monitor project progress against established milestones and deliverables
- Compile necessary information for status reports, internal briefings as necessary
- Support the development of the project report as required
- Effective support of coordination of the main activities of the project as listed above
- Effective processing of agreements and other project documentation
- Effective support on supportive processes related to human resources, finance, admin
- Information for status reports, internal briefings, agreements and budgets processed as necessary internally
- Functional Expert Working Groups in selected target countries
- Updated Plasma Initiative platform, including up to date resources and increased activity
- Completion of social media strategy for selected projects and/or online events
- Completion of online event(s) with strategic relevance
- Evaluation data successfully uploaded to UNITAR Event Management System
- Analysis and assessments are thorough and context-sensitive
- Content reflects most-up-to-date information and practice
- Feedback from the supervisor and the countries properly reflected
- Methodologies are inclusive and emphasize the importance of participation
- Percentage of deliverables submitted on time according to the agreed schedule
- Feedback from participants on the relevance, usefulness, and applicability of the training materials and activities
- Quality and timeliness of deliverables
- Collaborative attitude when working with other team members and external stakeholders
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of UN system. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning & Organizing: Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Based on the supervision received, develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments with minimal supervision; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary in a coordinated manner; uses time efficiently.
Commitment to continuous learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; very good inter-personal skills and a demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds, and proven ability to function in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Technology awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Communication: Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentation), including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written documents, such as technical and scientific papers, reports, studies, and other communication materials, articulating ideas in a clear and concise style; ability to prepare and deliver targeted and results-oriented presentations; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; strong interpersonal and communication skills including facilitation skills in training related activities.
Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
The individual contractor will report to the Director of the Division for People.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a field relevant to global health.
Work experience: Minimum 2 years of professional experience in project management / operational coordination. Experience in public/global health is of additional benefit.
Technical skills and competencies:
- Knowledge in global health. Knowledge in challenges related to global sustainable supply of plasma is of additional benefit.
- Ability to design and manage projects and build support and partnerships.
- Ability to coordinate work with multiple partners in a dynamic international environment.
- Ability to plan work, observe deadlines and manage multiple communication workstreams.
- Very good inter-personal skills and demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to articulate ideas in a clear and concise style.
- Integrity and commitment to the mandate and values of the United Nations.
Languages: Excellent command in written and oral English and Spanish is required.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants and individual contractors apply. No travel is required for this contract.
Please submit your application along with a motive letter as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.