Traineeship - Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (Social Media)
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains a traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDPU designs and delivers the Institute’s core diplomacy training (CDT), consisting primarily of orientation briefings and short, intensive skills development workshops which benefit cumulatively some 2,500 diplomats yearly at the United Nations Headquarters and other venues where the Organization maintains a significant presence.
Parallel to CDT, MDPU develops and delivers training activities at country and regional levels in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organizations. MDPU’s activities also include e-Learning courses; special projects, advisory services related to the curriculum development of diplomatic academies; and the development of other training tools and publications. MDPU also partners with universities around the world to offer high-quality Master’s Programmes in a variety of areas related to Multilateral Diplomacy and International Law. These programmes target government officials involved in bilateral and multilateral negotiations, students and other stakeholders.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to improve its training activities and special events, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit is enhancing its outreach and communication strategy and products.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of four to six months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. The placement is on an unpaid basis, but a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided towards transportation and miscellaneous costs.
Flexible/Remote working conditions may be possible; the monthly renumeration will be determined on the details of the arrangement and location of work.
As MDPU has expanded its training programmes and offerings, and launched new Masters’ Programmes in partnership with academic institutions across the world in the fields of International Affairs, Development Studies and Diplomacy, Gender and Development, and Environmental and Social Sustainability of Business, as well as other post-graduate qualifications, it is looking to enhance its outreach and communications efforts.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the trainee will assist with the development and design of UNITAR’s social media communications. The trainee will assist in designing social media posts and advertisements, illustrating professionalism and creativity, whilst adhering to UNITAR’s branding guidelines.
Typical tasks assigned to the trainee may include the following:
- To assist with the communications strategy for the Unit, across all programmes, with a specific focus on Social Media
- To develop social media content for all platforms, including social media posts, videos, polls, interactive content, live-streamed events, webinars, etc.
- To ensure all social media content is aligned with, and adheres to UNITAR’s brand guidelines and as been approved by all necessary stakeholders prior to being posted
- To plan and create short video content (eg. YouTube Shorts, Reels)
- To adapt existing content to make fit-for-purpose on social media platforms
- To explore potential for Paid Social Media Campaigns, including ads, Conversation Ads on LinkedIn, etc.
- To manage content distribution across all platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, and other social media platforms
- To stay up-to-date with social media trends and potential new channels and strategies
- To assist in the creation of new LinkedIn Page and/or LinkedIn Group
- To assist in developing the strategy, planning content and developing launch schedule
- To monitor and respond to comments and questions across all social media platforms in a timely manner based on UNITAR guidelines
- To consistently monitor results and provide learnings, as well as recommendations for optimization
The tasks assigned may be reviewed during contract period to reflect changes in programme needs and priorities.
After the assignment the trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Be familiar with UNITAR’s branding guidelines;
- Ameliorate, adapt and design UNITAR’s external products in a professional way;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR and United Nations staff;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (within either communications, marketing, international relations, education, history, law, political science, languages or a related subject) or be a recent graduate of the aforementioned (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
Candidates should also have:
- A demonstrated interest in UNITAR and its training methodologies
- The ability to write in a clear and concise manner
- A strong design asthetic
- Analytical and research skills; Ability to report on the performance of contents on different platforms weekly
- Hands on experience in content management
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms
- An interest in communication methodologies, as well as being motivated to work with monitoring and evaluation
- The ability to work collaboratively as well as independently
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural, fast-paced environment
- A high level of individual responsibility, commitment, and initiative
- The ability and willingness to learn new platforms and tools, and be self-sufficient and reliable
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple project deadlines simultaneously and adhere to strict deadlines when required
- Ability to maintain a content calendar that schedules all aspects of content delivery
- An ability to design, develop and deliver social media content
- An exceptional attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills. A strong sense of storytelling is a plus.
Additional Skills: Knowledge of Graphic Design; Adobe Creative Suite; Adobe Premiere Pro/Video editing; Canva, Trello or Hootsuite; or related programmes are highly advantageous.
Languages: Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English are required. Knowledge of other UN working languages (especially French) is an advantage.
Start date: July or August 2023. Exact date to be agreed upon with the selected candidate.
Duration: Four to six months. The traineeship programme is normally on a full-time basis and trainees are expected to work five days a week. Requests for part-time arrangements are possible and should be agreed before the start of the traineeship.
Candidates are invited to submit their application as soon as possible and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to the high number of expected applications, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.